Gatekeeper of Del Huoy
Capturing the souls of Chinese people who have yet to receive a proper burial
Yama is the Gatekeeper of Del Huoy, the opening to the gates of Chinese Hell. He is a knighted soldier on horseback, with glowing green eyes. He seeks to capture souls, absorbing them by impaling them on his lance, and does not care whether the souls are good or evil.
Yama appears on Earth after someone dies, and has a window of opportunity to capture their soul before their body is properly buried; because Yama is a spirit, witches are able to see him. And though he belongs in a spiritual realm, he proved to be vulnerable to Piper's power to freeze.
Yama once attempted to capture the soul of Mark Chao, an innocent man killed by Tony Wong to fake his death. Mark found the Charmed Ones and they helped to discover his body. When Tony died in a police shootout Mark pushed Tony's spirit into Yama but before Yama could claim Mark the Charmed Ones prevented him from doing so and he teleported away, ferrying only Tony's soul to Hell.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Active Powers
- Smoke-Fading: The ability to teleport through a combination of Smoking and Fading.
- Sensing: The ability to locate souls who have not yet moved on or received a proper burial.
- Other Powers
- Immortality: The ability to have an infinite lifespan and an arrested aging process.
- Powers via His Lance
- Soul Absorption: The ability to absorb and contain the souls of the deceased. Yama absorbs these souls through his lance.
Notes and TriviaEdit
- Yama is the god of death in Indian mythology, who passes judgment on the dead.
- Yama is the first being to teleport on-screen; and the first to display the powers of Smoke-Fading and Soul Absorption.
Yama appeared in a total of 1 episode throughout the course of the series.
- Season 1
- Dead Man Dating
- ↑ Through his lance