|List of Spells|
A spell or incantation is a series of words that, when spoken, invoke some magical effect. Reciting a spell is commonly referred to as casting a spell or chanting. In order to be effective, spells must be performed by a magical being. To this end, a spell recited by a mortal will not work. Whilst spells require to be spoken they can also be performed non-verbally and can be channeled and used by powerful telepaths.
Spells that create negative magical effects, that harm others, are called curses. These spells are difficult and should not be taken lightly.
To reverse the effects of a spell, one can use a reversal spell.
The ability to cast spells is called spell casting. It's a basic ability that all natural born witches possess (along with scrying and potion making). Some spells require more power and thus must be cast by multiple witches at once.
Book of ShadowsEdit
Witches traditionally write their spells into their Book of Shadows, both for their own reference and to preserve them for posterity. Of course, spells are also collected in other books; Magic School has a great collection of spell books.
The Book of Shadows that is considered to contain the most powerful spells is the Halliwell Book of Shadows. With spells written by witches from the entire Warren-Halliwell line, it contains a plethora of spells.
The warlock Bacarra once noted that there was a vanquishing spell in the book for every demon the family has ever encountered and was astounded by the magic it contained. He stated that while he "knew their magic was good", he "had no idea it was this good". He then realised that a demon in possession of the book would go entirely unchallenged in the underworld, as not even the Source of All Evil would be safe.
Notes and TriviaEdit
- Reading a spell backwards correctly can reverse the effects.
- A haiku can also be considered a spell. Paige Matthews proved this when she wrote a haiku to vanquish Ludlow.
- Phoebe Halliwell is considered to be the best spell-writer of the Charmed Ones. Piper is considered the best at making potions.
- Protection spells are dangerous since the spell's compulsion towards keeping the subject safe would not allow the subject to move in an attempt to prevent any possible danger.
- Skilled witches can combine spells to make a single, more powerful spell for the same purpose.
- In the Book of Shadows documentary writer and director Curtis Kheel stated that the spells were always the last part of the scripts that were written due to the difficulty caused by having to rhyme.
- ↑ The Charmed Ones and Wyatt Halliwell have both been shown using spells non-verbally.
- ↑ In the season 5 episode "A Witch In Time".
- ↑ As demonstrated by the demon Abraxas in the season 2 episode "Witch Trial".
- ↑ As seen in the season 7 episode "Styx Feet Under".
- ↑ Phoebe Halliwell combined two vanquishing spells to vanquish the Demon of Illusion.