|Shadow of the Sphinx|
|Ancient Egypt beckons…|
Simon Spotlight Entertainment
0-7434-6104-5 / 9780743461047
Shadow of the Sphinx is the 16th book of the Charmed novels and is written by Carla Jablonski.
Shifting sands, eternal dust,
unending time moves as it must.
But ancient wisdom works through me,
time is mine—where e'er I be.
Paige Matthews is having a minor identity crisis. She is slowly but surely embracing her long lost sisters' witchy ways, but she doesn't want to overstep her boundaries. After all, she wouldn't ever want to replace Prue Halliwell—even if she could. So Paige considers it a stroke of luck when, one day, her experiments with magic turn her into a cat. Who knew she had a knack for shape-shifting?
One problem: She can't shift herself back. Her sisters inadvertently betray her when they deposit her at a local animal shelter. Suddenly she finds herself the familiar of a cult that worships ancient Egyptian deities, and is catapulted into ancient Egypt! Piper and Phoebe discover the identity of the stray cat and rally a rescue mission, only to discover another cat-woman, also entrapped within a fortress-like sphinx. This kitty is one feline femme fatale, and the sisters are going to have to put human heads together to defeat her!
- Piper Halliwell: The eldest sister with the powers of Molecular Immobilization and Molecular Combustion.
- Phoebe Halliwell: The middle sister with the powers of Premonition and Levitation.
- Paige Matthews: The youngest half-sister with the powers of Telekinetic Orbing and Orbing.
- Leo Wyatt: The Charmed Ones' Whitelighter and Piper's husband. He has the powers of Orbing and Healing.
- Cole Turner: Phoebe's fiancé. He was known as Belthazor in the Underworld and had the powers of Shimmering and Energy Balls before becoming human.
- Skull Headed Demon: A Skeletal Being. Has a blue tongue with teeth transfixed in his skeleton head.
- Kraken Demon: Black-clad, slimy-green rogue demons that scavenge leftover magical energy left from battle between witches and other demons.
- Cinnamon sticks
- Pour boiling water over a handful of Comfry and Nettles, light candles and look into the flames and concentrate on an animal you picked. Choose an animal you easily identify with for a start: Thinking of the qualities of this animal and sense for these qualities in yourself. Anoint forehead, hands and feet with the infusion. Burn the Cinnamon Stick and recite the spell:
- Take what I am
- Turn it into what I will be
- Animal Power, Animal Me
- Animal Energy, Animal Shape
- Animal form my body to take.
- Return to who you were
- Remember who you are
- No longer animal -
- Become human once more.
To Drive an Enemy AwayEdit
- Power of the cat, unite with me,
- Send away this enemy.
To Transport Yourself to a Loved OneEdit
- Separated by time, separated by space.
- Reunite us three, in our sister's current place.'
- Ancient wise ones link to my will,
- My greatest desire now you fulfill.
- Visitor from another land,
- We need help to understand.
- Let our words now be clear.
- When we speak, both far and near.
To Break Out of a Prison CellEdit
- Open the doors, open the gate,
- This is a crisis, we really can't wait.
To Vanquish the Giant DemonEdit
- Creature of chaos, we vanquish thee,
- Demon be gone so that good may go free.
- Power of Three now vanquish thee,
- We will forever be Power of three!"
To Drive Away ScorpionsEdit
- Power of the cat, unite with me,
- Banish these scorpions to eternity.
- Phoebe Halliwell and Paige Matthews possess the power to throw Energy Balls in this novel.
- Cole Turner is incorrectly referred to as Cole Porter.
- Russian: Tjen' Sfinksa (Shade Sphinx)
- French: L'ombre du sphinx (The Shadow of the Sphinx)
- Spanish: La sombra de la esfinge (The Shadow of the Sphinx)