|Ritual of the Guardians|
A ritual to calm the elements around the world for another century.
The Ritual of the Guardians is an event featured in the novel The Brewing Storm.
The ritual is a necessary performance utilized every hundred years to calm the four elements of Earth, Air, Fire and Water. To this end, four guardian elementals—an Earthshaker, a Windwalker, a Firestarter, and a Waterbearer—must come together, with a Spirit Guardian, a strong human spirit, at the center of a pentagram known as the Circle of Gaea to unite the other four. On the Night of Aeolus, the ritual must be successfully performed, otherwise the elements will continue to move out of control until the world splits apart.
In the twenty-first century, the ritual was almost disrupted when the demon Tempest drove the original Firestarter to suicide, prompting the involvement of the Charmed Ones as they recruited their old charge Tyler Michaels, temporarily unbinding his powers to act as the substitute Firestarter. Aided by Earthshaker Muriel Hammond, the Charmed Ones were able to gather Windwalker Rafe—who had assumed his powers were simple Telekinesis—and Waterbearer Gabrielle Chambers—who was initially unaware of her powers—in time to perform the ritual, with Darryl Morris acting as the Spirit Guardian, the elemental of heart.
The elementals are to stand on one point of the star-shaped circle:
- The Windwalker on the upper left.
- The Waterbearer on the lower left.
- The Firestarter on the lower right.
- The Earthshaker on the upper right.
- The Human Spirit on the top.
The elementals each carries one object: the Firestarter and Windwalker carry a sword and a wand, respectively, while the Earthshaker carries coins and the Waterbearer a chalice. The Human Spirit is only needed to present his heart. Once all elementals are gathered, the Firestarter will create a fire in the circle's center and send its flames into the air.
- Guardians of the North, the West, the South, the East…
- … Join together in the spirit of the circle…
- … And bring about peace.
- Calm the winds, holds back the rains, subdue the fire, and let Earth rest.
- On this Night of Aeolus, in this the Circle of Gaea,
- We implore you to take back your power by using our strength.