To neutralize one's powers
Through spells or potions
- Piper: "Someone, I won't say who, has the insane notion of binding our child's powers."
- Leo: "Why is it insane? Grams bound your powers when you were a child."
- Piper: "Yes, and we spent twenty odd years ignorant about our destiny. I look back on those normal days and I feel like I was a complete and total fraud."
- — Piper and Leo discussing the possibility of binding their child's powers.[src]
Power Binding is a term for neutralizing a being's powers. This method can be performed by means of spells or a binding potion. Unlike power stripping, it can be undone by a reversal spell, a potion or the death of the caster.
- "What? I unbound your powers without having broken the pact? Why would I do that? I mean unless I died which of course would automatically... unbind your powers. I guess I'm not going to make it to the next millennium, huh?"
- —Penny Halliwell discovers that the sisters' powers were returned automatically, meaning she died.[src]
Penny Halliwell bound her granddaughters' powers right after Phoebe was born, in order to protect them from evil. In 1998, she died of cardiac arrest, but her granddaughters' powers were not unlocked until six months later due to Phoebe moving to New York soon after she died and not returning until then.
Piper and Phoebe made the potion to bind the powers of Paige's past life, who was a powerful witch of the medieval times. They first wanted to vanquish her, but they wouldn't want to take the risk to lose Paige, since it was her Past Life and thus bound her powers instead.
When the Source's unborn son began taking over Phoebe's body from within the womb, Piper concocted a binding potion to stop the child from using it powers. She gave it to Phoebe, passing it off as ice tea, but child quickly threw the potion against a wall as it sensed what it was.
Prue Halliwell voluntarily bound her own powers to bring The Power of Three under control, which had had become disrupted due to her reunion with her sisters. Her plan backfired when she gained all of her sisters' powers as well as her own due to Rennek switching magic over to mortals.
Notes and TriviaEdit
- Since Jeremy Burns waited months before attacking the Charmed Ones when their powers were unbound, this suggests that Warlocks would be unable to steal a witch's active powers if their were bound.
- It's possible that this process only applies to a witch's active powers since Phoebe was able to cast the Dominus Trinus spell at the start of the season. However, it's likely that one could also bind someone's basic powers as well because, since the Evil Enchantress and Stillman Sisters had their powers forcibly bound as a way of preventing them from causing further harm, they could still pose a threat by casting spells.
- While the only beings to have had their powers bound were witches and a firestarter, it's possible that the same can be done to demons since Phoebe threatens to do so to a Manticore Baby in "Little Monsters".