2003, The Attic
The Necromancer was a former demon named Armand, who had a tumultuous relationship with Penny Halliwell, the grandmother of the Charmed Ones. Though he did truly and passionately love her - a passion which she returned - he betrayed her, causing her to vanquish him. Presumably foreseeing that either she herself or her descendants would have to deal with his return at some point in the future, she added an entry of him in the Book of Shadows.
Though the Necromancer was vanquished, his ghost retained the greed for power that he had in life. He began absorbing the spirits of magical beings, which would cause him to temporarily come back to life. His one main goal, as Penny put it, was to find the most powerful magical spirits possible, and devour them, which would enable him to resurrect himself for good.
Years later, Penny had fallen in love with another man, Allen Halliwell, and in 1950, they conceived a child, Patty Halliwell. It was during Patty's Wiccaning, however, that the Necromancer attacked. He wanted to devour every spirit of the Halliwell family line so that he could come back to life for eternity, but Penny banished him to the spirit world before he could execute that plan.
In 2003, Penny was summoned back to the physical world, to perform a Wiccaning for her great-grandson, Wyatt Matthew Halliwell. It was then that the Necromancer struck again. He captured Grams and seduced her, in hopes of forcing her to summon the Halliwell Matriarchs and absorbing their magic, which - according to him - was powerful enough to resurrect them both. He nearly succeeded in doing this, until Paige Matthews cast The Truth Spell on her grandmother. The spell broke the Necromancer's control over Penny, who revealed that, while she still loved him, her love for her family was greater. Using the To Vanquish a Ghost and Return Him to His Rest spell, she vanquished his spirit for all eternity.
- (Book of Shadows text:)
- The Necromancer is not a demon
- but the ghost of a demon who was
- vanquished. Mostly dwelling in the
- spirit realm he has dominion over
- the dead, although he has been
- known to escape to the land of the
- living. He no longer possesses
- powers of his own but feeding on
- the souls of the magical dead
- imbues him with temporary life. The
- length of his empowerment depends
- on the strength of the Spirit.
- Left page
- favorite dinner: lamb chops with mint jelly
- Enjoys Clark Gable pictures
- Enjoys Luxuries of LIFE!
- Right page
- Willing to do anything to live!!
- A user and a liar
- Although it was never stated when Grams dated the Necromancer. It had to have been when she was around the age of 18, since Grams had Patty when she was 19 years old. This would explain how he was able to use Grams, she vanquished him, and he attacked at Patty's wiccaning.
- Grams and Armand's relationship resembles the relationship of Phoebe and Cole. It is also similar to the relationship of Melinda Warren and Matthew Tate, the warlock that betrayed her.
The Necromancer has appeared in a total of 1 episode throughout the course of the series.
- Season 5
- Necromancing the Stone
|Antagonists of Season 5|
|The Sea Hag · Necron · Wicked Witch from the Magic Mirror · The Siren · Arnon · Orin · Cree · Barbas · Bacarra · Ronan · Cole Turner · Jeric · Isis · Kaia · Dex · The Seer · Witch Doctor · Tracer Demons · Doris Bennett · Cronyn · Parasite Demons · The Crone · Saleel · Janna and Jayda · Familiar Hunter · Xavier and Tull · Kazi Demons · The Necromancer · The Titans|