|Mist and Stone|
|Can the Charmed Ones prevent an event that is predestined?|
Pocket Books (Simon & Schuster UK Ltd.)
0-689-85789-6 / 9780743462495
The novel is set between Season 4 Episode 12 Lost and Bound and Season 4 Episode 15 Marry-Go-Round (Phoebe Halliwell is engaged to Cole Turner), indicating that it actually comes before Something Wiccan This Way Comes even though it was published afterwards.
Shadows of tomorrow
from the past are sown.
On shifting sands and sorrows,
veiled in mist or set in stone…
Paige Matthews is accustomed to the requirements of her job as a social worker, and she's willing to endure substandard pay, long hours, and emotional drain. After all, she wants to make a difference—sometimes in a non-Charmed capacity. But she is unprepared for the anger and rage she encounters in Todd Corman, a young boy who has been bounced from caregiver to caregiver for so long that he doesn't trust authority. Still, Paige is sympathetic and determined to break through.
But when Phoebe stops by the agency for a quick hello, she is rocked by a vision that involves Todd. Strangely, the vision is shrouded in fog. After some investigation, Leo explains that this particular mist has nothing to do with the weather, but rather suggests that Todd's fate may not be set in stone. Todd has been targeted, and if the Charmed Ones are going to reverse destiny, they're going to have to race against the clock!
- Todd Corman: A troubled 12-year-old boy and Future Darklighter. Phoebe receives a vision upon touching him.
- Scar: A Darklighter intent on raising an army of Darklighters.
- Ray Marino: Administrator of Bay Haven.
- Ian Gregory: A troubled kid at Bay Haven.
- Tyrell Weans: A bulky troubled kid at Bay Haven.
- Brian Jamieson: Todd's biological father.
- Kelly Jamieson: Brian's wife, and Todd's stepmother.
- Hadie: Todd's cat.
- Hank Marcos: A troubled kid, younger than Todd.
- Donald Ramsey: The recruiter at Reliable Temps who interviews Phoebe.
- Scott: Social worker.
- Sonny Hendricks: Sole tutor at Bay Haven.
- Leslie Gray: Visiting nurse and psychologist.
- Chuck: Bay Haven cook.
- Herman: Bay Haven maintenance man and gardener.
- Lila: Paige's co-worker.
To Fix a CopierEdit
- Tweak the gizmos, gears, and plates
- so this machine will duplicate.
To Vanquish ScarEdit
- Dark enemy of White Light,
- In a mist, where death is written,
- Not in time or in stone
- But in the fire cast by demon fist;
- Burn Darklight shadow, scar
- And blood and bone.
- Invisibility: The ability to be unseen by the naked eye. Leo and Scar both used this ability to spy.
- Molecular Immobilization: The ability to slow down molecules until they cease to move.
- Molecular Combustion: The ability to speed up molecules until they explode.
- Premonition: The ability to predict events of the past, present and future.
- Levitation: The ability to hover in midair.
- Orbing: A method of teleportation in the form of orbs. Leo and Paige both used this ability.
- Telekinetic Orbing: The ability to teleport objects via orbs.
- Apportation: The ability to summon objects to oneself.
- Shimmering: A method of teleportation through shimmers.
- Pyrokinesis: The ability to manipulate fire.
- Voice Manipulation: The ability to manipulate one's voice.
- Scar used an ancient potion to immobilize Paige. The potion's effects wore off faster than expected due to her being half-Whitelighter while it was more effective on full-blooded Whitelighters.
Notes and TriviaEdit
- Future Darklighters are introduced in this novel.
- The incidents with Alec, the Spirit Killer, Eames, and Jake Grisanti were mentioned.
- The book's title is a reference to the mist-and-stone effect.
- Paige is a social worker instead of an assistant.
- Paige has already learnt to orb elsewhere. This signifies that Cole is already the Source of All Evil.
- The sisters' trip to the 1700's is mentioned, but is falsely written as 1800's.
- Eames was mentioned to have killed his Darklighter with a knife, then took his power to obtain the ability to kill Whitelighters. In the episode, he simply killed the Darklighter with a Fireball and only used Darklighter Arrows to kill Whitelighters.
- Darklighters teleport through the use of Black Orbing, but in this novel, Scar's teleportation is Shimmering.