Juliana had been on the move with her family since birth; she had seven siblings before they were all killed. When she became an adult, she spent two years perfecting a spell that counteracted a warlock's curse that prevented her family from producing females, and chanted it every night before she got pregnant. Soonafter giving birth to a daughter, her family enemy Gortag caught up to them and killed her entire family. Her last brother used a cloaking spell to shield Juliana and "Lily" from Gortag. Juliana blamed the Elders for not helping her family and renounced her Whitelighter before going into hiding. Her husband took off sometime after.
Unbeknownst to her, her baby was swapped at some point with a mortal baby by two clan-goids, who raised her daughter in hopes of turning her evil. Juliana never trusted anyone after losing her family (not even other witches), but warmed up to Drew, who became Lily's best friend in sixth grade. Juliana treated her like a second daughter.
Lily's Powers, Drew's Identity and Gortag's DestructionEdit
When Lily's powers didn't manifest on her 13th birthday, Juliana cast a spell to find help. The spell brought her to the Charmed Ones, and she sought them out for help. However, her lack of trust in other witches and prejudice against Whitelighters make the situation quite difficult.
Throughout the novel, the Charmed Ones are given a glimpse into the lives and magical traditions of another witch family which contradicts their own traditions including confronting a demon not even they have the power to vanquish. Juliana later joins forces with Drew (who manifested shapeshifting powers) against Gortag and vanquish him once and for all. She later finds out that Drew was her actual daughter and Lily was swapped at infancy. Despite this revelation, Juliana loves them both unconditionally and even tells Lily that she will continue to love her forever. Drew is later legally brought back to her rightful family, and Lily is given the opportunity to get to know hers.
Not much is known about Juliana' romantic life. Lily once stated that her father left both her and her mother because she believed he resented her.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Basic Powers
- Spell Casting: the ability to cast spells and perform rituals.
- Potion Making: the ability to brew potions.
- Scrying: the ability to scry for something or someone by using a map and a crystal. Juliana also used a more modern form of scrying when she did her tracking spell, this form of scrying is more so used in the Wiccan practices.
- Mediumship: The ability to see and commune with spirits of the dead.
- Active Powers
- Pyrokinesis: Juliana stated that she was a firestarter and could start fires with her mind.
- Juliana harbored anger and hatred for the Elders and Whitelighters for not being able to stop Gortag and for letting him kill her entire family.
- It is interesting to note that Juliana is the first witch shown to have renounced all connection to her Whitelighter without turning into an evil witch or a warlock.
Juliana O'Farrell has appeared in a total of 1 non-canonical novel throughout the franchise.