|Inherit the Witch|
|Some birthdays are more magical than others…|
Laura J. Burns
Pocket Books (Simon & Schuster UK Ltd.)
0-689-86708-5 / 9780743489584
Inherit the Witch is the 23rd book in the Charmed novel collection.
On this, a young girl's birthday hour,
we call upon her ancient power.
An ancient calling has been switched—
now, bring back magic to this witch!
The Charmed Ones know the burden of having powers and of the constant demonic and warlock attacks which is why Grams bound their powers until they were old enough to adjust to having them. In fact in many witch families, the powers of their offspring are bound until the witch is old enough to receive their power.
In Juliana O'Farrell's clan, that age is thirteen but something goes wrong when Juliana's daughter Lily calls for her powers… those powers don't come. Now with no other option, Juliana, who has been in hiding with her family because of a demon known as Gortag, must accept help from the Charmed Ones to find her daughter's missing powers. But as we all know, the life of a witch is never dull and there seems to be a hidden twist in the O'Farrell's life. Can the Charmed Ones bring the new witch into her powers or is there another witch amongst them who doesn't even know she's a witch?
- Juliana O'Farrell: A firestarter witch who comes out of hiding to ask for help from the Charmed Ones. It was said that when her family discovered her power of firestarting, she was the strongest witch in the O'Farrell clan in ages.
- Gortag: An extremely powerful demon who has hunted the O'Farrell witches for centuries as it was prophesied that only a mother-daughter combination could vanquish him. He had a warlock place a powerful enchantment over the witches of that family enabling them to only produce male witches. It was revealed though that if the male witch married another witch they would be able to have daughters though the warlock's enchantment was so strong that even that couldn't lead to his vanquish. His only known weakness is fire (hence, Juliana was most likely destined to vanquish him as she was a firestarter witch). His only known powers are telepathy and possibly cloning. Described by Piper, Phoebe, Paige, and Lily to resemble a kid in a devil's costume on Halloween.
- Drew Elson: Lily's best friend who somehow intercepted Lily's powers, or maybe there's more to her than meets the eye.
- Lily O'Farrell: Juliana's daughter, an O'Farrell witch whose Wiccan powers have gone MIA.
- Mr. and Mrs. Elson: Drew's adoptive parents. Both are clan-goid demons, who switched Lily and Drew at birth to feed on Drew's negative energy when she came into her gifts.
To Call an O'Farrell Witch's PowersEdit
- I call upon you, elements four,
- Unlock your secrets forever more,
- A new witch enters the fold,
- Allow her magic to take hold.
To Seek SolaceEdit
- Form a circle with crushed rowan leaves around the witch. Then chant the following:
- Mother Earth, heed me,
- In this hour of need, I seek solace.
- Send to me aid in my trouble.
Metaphysical Locator SpellEdit
- The person with powers missing will stand in the center while witches form a circle with their hands.
- Goddess, your daughter stands before you,
- But her magic has fled.
- Help her find what she has lost,
- That she with her magic may be wed.
To Summon GortagEdit
- Fire and earth, hear our command!
- We summon a demon from the dark lands.
- Gortag, come!
- Power of the witches, we call on you, come
- Bring your power, protect our home.
To Bind Gortag to One BodyEdit
- Demon of Many Bodies,
- In this form we command you, stay.
To Break a Demonic Mind ControlEdit
- Goddess, hear our call. Release.
A Ceremony to Transfer PowersEdit
- A deceased member of the family line will be the judge of the transfer. Both parties must be willing to participate for the transfer to work. Two circles will be drawn, with a bowl of water in between them.
- Sun and moon, earth and water,
- Smile now upon your daughters.
- Each one wants what the other holds.
- Reverse their powers, exchange their molds.
- A descendant standing outside the circle will recite the following:
- Ancestor witches, hear your daughter's plea.
- Send one to judge whose these powers should be.
- Corporealization: Gortag
- Levitation: The Book of Shadows
- Immunity: Clan-goids
- Telepathy: Juliana's Aunt and Gortag
- Molecular Combustion: Piper
- Molecular Immobilization: Piper
- Premonition: Phoebe
- Telekinesis: Juliana's Grandfather
- Pyrokinesis: Juliana
- Orbing: Paige and Leo
- Sensing: Leo and Clan-goids
- Shapeshifting: Drew
- Force Field: The Book of Shadows
- Shimmering: Clan-goids
- Spell Casting: Juliana and the Charmed Ones
- Telekinetic Orbing: Paige
- Russian: Potomstvjennaja vjed'ma (Hereditary Witch)
- French: La Sorcèllerie en héritage