|Inherit the Witch|
|Some birthdays are more magical than others…|
Laura J. Burns
Pocket Books (Simon & Schuster UK Ltd.)
0-689-86708-5 / 9780743489584
Inherit the Witch is the 23rd book in the Charmed novel collection.
On this, a young girl's birthday hour,
we call upon her ancient power.
An ancient calling has been switched—
now, bring back magic to this witch!
The Charmed Ones know the burden of having powers and of the constant demonic and warlock attacks which is why Grams bound their powers until they were old enough to adjust to having them. In fact in many witch families, the powers of their offspring are bound until the witch is old enough to receive their power.
In Juliana O'Farrell's clan, that age is thirteen but something goes wrong when Juliana's daughter Lily calls for her powers… those powers don't come. Now with no other option, Juliana, who has been in hiding with her family because of a demon known as Gortag, must accept help from the Charmed Ones to find her daughter's missing powers. But as we all know, the life of a witch is never dull and there seems to be a hidden twist in the O'Farrell's life. Can the Charmed Ones bring the new witch into her powers or is there another witch amongst them who doesn't even know she's a witch?
- Piper Halliwell: The eldest sister with the powers of Molecular Immobilization and Molecular Combustion.
- Phoebe Halliwell: The middle sister with the powers of Premonition and Levitation.
- Paige Matthews: The youngest half-sister with the powers of Telekinetic Orbing and Orbing.
- Leo Wyatt: The Charmed Ones' Whitelighter and Piper's husband. He has the powers of Orbing and Healing.
- Juliana O'Farrell: A Firestarter witch who comes out of hiding to ask for help from the Charmed Ones. It was said that when her family discovered her power of firestarting, she was the strongest witch in the O'Farrell clan in ages.
- Gortag: An extremely powerful demon who has hunted the O'Farrell witches for centuries as it was prophesied that only a mother-daughter combination of this family line could vanquish him.
- Drew Elson: Lily's best friend who somehow intercepted Lily's power of Shapeshifting, or maybe there's more to her than meets the eye.
- Lily O'Farrell: Juliana's daughter, an O'Farrell witch whose Wiccan powers have gone MIA.
- Mr. and Mrs. Elson: Drew's adoptive parents. Both are clan-goid demons, who switched Lily and Drew at birth to feed on Drew's negative energy when she came into her gifts. Their powers involved Shimmering.
To Call an O'Farrell Witch's Powers
- I call upon you, elements four,
- Unlock your secrets forever more,
- A new witch enters the fold,
- Allow her magic to take hold.
To Seek Solace
- Form a circle with crushed rowan leaves around the witch. Then chant the following:
- Mother Earth, heed me,
- In this hour of need, I seek solace.
- Send to me aid in my trouble.
Metaphysical Locator Spell
- The person with powers missing will stand in the center while witches form a circle with their hands.
- Goddess, your daughter stands before you,
- But her magic has fled.
- Help her find what she has lost,
- That she with her magic may be wed.
To Summon Gortag
- Fire and earth, hear our command!
- We summon a demon from the dark lands.
- Gortag, come!
- Power of the witches, we call on you, come
- Bring your power, protect our home.
To Bind Gortag to One Body
- Demon of Many Bodies,
- In this form we command you, stay.
To Break a Demonic Mind Control
- Goddess, hear our call. Release.
A Ceremony to Transfer Powers
- A deceased member of the family line will be the judge of the transfer. Both parties must be willing to participate for the transfer to work. Two circles will be drawn, with a bowl of water in between them and the two participants must stand inside the circles.
- Sun and moon, earth and water,
- Smile now upon your daughters.
- Each one wants what the other holds.
- Reverse their powers, exchange their molds.
- A descendant standing outside the circle will recite the following:
- Ancestor witches, hear your daughter's plea.
- Send one to judge whose these powers should be.
- Corporealization: Gortag
- Levitation: The Book of Shadows
- Immunity: Clan-goids
- Telepathy: Juliana's Aunt and Gortag
- Molecular Combustion: Piper
- Molecular Immobilization: Piper
- Premonition: Phoebe
- Telekinesis: Juliana's Grandfather
- Pyrokinesis: Juliana
- Orbing: Paige and Leo
- Sensing: Leo, an O'Farrell ancestress and the Clan-goids
- Shapeshifting: Drew
- Force Field: The Book of Shadows
- Shimmering: Clan-goids
- Spell Casting: Juliana and the Charmed Ones
- Telekinetic Orbing: Paige
- Reconstitution: Drew as a phoenix
- Flight: Drew as a dragon and phoenix
- Book of Shadows: The Halliwell family's tome of spells and information.
Notes and Trivia
- The Window of Opportunity was featured in this novel.
- Clan-goids are introduced.
- When Piper was trapped in Drew's room in the Elson home, she mentioned that "on the day a witch was to receive his or her powers, there was a moment in time where the powers existed unprotected in space, a moment before the powers found the witch who called for them and if an evil demon knew when it would happen, they could wreak havoc trying to steal the powers and kill the new witch".
- Russian: Potomstvjennaja vjed'ma (Hereditary Witch)
- French: La Sorcèllerie en héritage (The hereditary witch)
- Dutch: Een duistere erfenis (A dark heritage)