|Season 8, episode 9|
|The Charmed Ones with the Virus.|
November 20, 2005
|For a complete plot of Hulkus Pocus, go here.|
Phoebe has decided to take a hiatus from men. Piper seems to think Agent Murphy and the government is hiding something from the sisters. Along with Paige, she discovers that an experiment with a captured demon created a deadly virus that is infecting the magical community, including Billie.
- Alyssa Milano as Phoebe Halliwell
- Rose McGowan as Paige Matthews
- Holly Marie Combs as Piper Halliwell
- Kaley Cuoco as Billie Jenkins
- Brian Krause as Leo Wyatt
- Ivan Sergei as Henry Mitchell
- Brandon Quinn as Agent Murphy
- David Dayan Fisher as Margoyle
- Andres Saenz-Hudson as Ernesto
- Chad Allen as Emrick
- Nigel Gibbs as Jonnah
- Morgan Rusler as Soothsayer
- Dominic Daniel as Tracker Demon
- Lance E. Nichols as Joe
- P.J. Marino as Parole Officer
- Sierra Paris as P.J. Halliwell
- Todd Tucker as Hulk Krychek Demons
- Spice Williams-Crosby as Hulk Phoebe Halliwell
- Majken Poulsen as Hulk Piper Halliwell
- Cory Everson as Hulk Paige Matthews
- Cameo Kneuer as Hulk Billie Jenkins
- Unknown actor as Ramon
Book of ShadowsEdit
- Low-level demons and of little consequence.
- These demons serve as shock troops for their masters in the Underworld.
- They can be identified by the neck tattoos marking their clan affiliation.
- Paige brought a vanquishing potion with her to Magic School to vanquish the infected Krychek Demon, but it wasn't strong enough.
- Orbing: Type of Teleportation used by Paige and Jonnah.
- Molecular Combustion: Used by Piper when she tried to blow up the (infected) Krychek Demon and to blast infected Billie. She also blew up things in Agent Murphy's office to threaten him.
- Hyper Speed: Used by the infected Krychek Demon to move faster.
- Fireballs: Used by Emrick at Magic School to attack Piper and Paige and he created a fire ball threatening to vanquish the Krychek Demon. One of Margoyle's minions also used it to attack person X.
- Super Strength: Used by Emrick, infected with the Virus, to push the dining room table out of his way. Billie also used it on other furniture.
- Remote Orbing: Used by Paige to orb baby Ramon to the nursery and to orb the infected Emrick to Magic School.
- Energy Balls: Used by Margoyle to vanquish a demon at Magic School. One of Margoyle's minions also created an energy ball when he wanted to attack the infected Charmed Ones.
- Telekinetic orbing: Used by Paige to lock the door from Agent Murphy's office and to orb his chair. She also used it to deviate Margoyle's fire ball.
- Transmogrification: Used by the Tracker to shapeshift into an ironing board.
- Shimmering: Type of Teleportation used by the Tracker, Margoyle and his minions.
- Molecular Immobilization: Used by Piper to freeze infected Billie.
- Astral Premonition: Phoebe got an astral premonition in which she talked to her future self about her future.
- Book of Shadows - The Halliwell Family's magical tome. In addition to spells and potion recipes, the Book of Shadows contains information on warlocks, demons, and other supernatural beings. It was created by their ancestor, Melinda Warren, and was passed down every generation.
- Athame - A double edged ceremonial knife.
- Scrying Crystal - A magical pendant used for scrying. Paige used it to scry for Ramon's dad (unseen). Later on, Hulk Paige scried for person X.
- The Virus - When the government found a wounded Krychek Demon, they managed to capture him. In hopes of creating super soldiers, they injected the Demon with human blood. Instead of a super soldier, it created a Virus which spread over the Magical Community. The more powerful a being is, the quicker the Virus will destroy it.
Notes and TriviaEdit
- This episode confirms that the U.S. government (partially) knows about the existence of magic (which was already hinted at in Something Wicca This Way Goes...?), and that they have experimented on a demon.
- The storyline about the government knowing about the existence of magic is seemingly dropped after this episode, as it was not mentioned again for the rest of the show, but is now being revisited in Season 9.
- This is the last premonition Phoebe is shown to have on the series.
- This is also the third and last time that Phoebe has an astral premonition (since "The Eyes Have It" and "Sand Francisco Dreamin'"). However, unlike the first two times, she can interact with people in the vision- in this case, her future self.
- This is the last time that all three prophesied Charmed powers were used in the same episode.
- This is the last episode featuring Homeland Security and Agent Murphy, although, he assisted the sisters off-screen in Payback's a Witch.
- In this episode, Leo suggests to Billie to start her own Book of Shadows, which Dumain would later use to influence the sisters and turn the magical community against them (Gone with the Witches).
- Many fans wondered how Piper could freeze Billie. Aside from making her part demon The Virus could have made Billie so weak, that Piper's freezing power is stronger, making Piper able to freeze Billie. Piper's powers may also have advanced, similar to how Paige and Phoebe's have by this season.
- The title of this episode is a play on the stage magician phrase "Hocus Pocus", as well as a reference to Marvel Comics' Hulk, an enormous and muscled green superhero who has the power of super strength.
- The attempt to use demonic blood to create powerful soldiers could also be a reference to Marvel comics, namely to Captain America, who gained his abilities in the "Super Soldier" experiment.
- In "Astral Monkey", Dr. Curtis Williamson acquires the powers of all three Halliwell Sisters through a blood transfusion, which ends up driving him insane. Similarly in this episode, due to a mortal blood transfusion administered to a demon, an illness is produced (though a physical one).
- This episode shares many similarities with the episodes "Reckless Abandon" and "Little Monsters". In all three episodes, at least one of the sisters gets stuck with taking care of an infant, although in this episode the baby is not connected to the magical storyline.
- Billie and Christy's surname; Jenkins, is mentioned for the first time.
- Billie's name is misspelled as "Billy" in the Australian re-runs.
- Agent Murphy's office seems to have changed locations. Previously, in the season 8 episode, Rewitched, there was a long hallway leading to his office, but in this episode, there's a wall behind the door.
- Phoebe is previously wearing no lipstick, but in the next scene (taking care of Billie) she is wearing bright red lipstick.
- Piper's hair changes from curly (the style she has during the whole episode) to straight, whenever she's on screen with Leo. This is mostly evident in the sequence where she's with Leo and baby Ramon in the attic, and as soon as she goes downstairs to aid Phoebe her hair is completely different.
Behind the Scenes Edit
- Billie: Look, Paige already gave the "what were you thinking" speech so...
- Piper: So? What were you thinking?
- Demon: Margoyle, please! I just need a little more time.
- (Margoyle throws an energy ball to "Demon", vanquishing him)
- Margoyle: Time's up.
- Phoebe: (about caring of baby Ramon) Just so you know, I know what you're trying to do and it's not gonna work.
- Piper: Okay, just so you know, I know what you're trying to do and I will be relentless.
- (Hulk-Billie attacks Phoebe and Piper. Piper gestures to freeze her, not knowing that it's Billie.)
- Phoebe: No Piper, it's Billie! No, no, you might blow her up. (Billie hurls a table and jumps over the sofa.) Okay, blow her up!!
- (Piper, Phoebe and Paige transform into Hulk-like creatures.)
- Leo: Holy crap!
- Hulk-Piper: Language!! (She sends him flying over the attic.)
- Paige: If you guys will excuse me, I'm gonna go check on little Ramon.
- Piper: Don't you mean Henry?
- Paige: No, I mean Ramon.
- Phoebe: Kiss him for me.
- Paige: Henry?
- Phoebe: No, Ramon!
- Paige: Oh, okay.
- French: L'antidote (The Antidote)
- Czech: Holkus pokus (Hulkus Pocus)
- Slovak: Hokus pokus (Hocus Pocus)
- Spanish (Spain): Hulkus pocus
- Spanish (Latin America): Abracadevirus
- Italian: Hulcus pokus (Hulkus Pocus)
- German: Blutsbande (Ties of Blood)
Battle of the Hexes
Vaya Con Leos
| Episodes: Season 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8|
Comics: Season 9 - 10