|A good old-fashioned Hollywood haunting…|
Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group
1416936688 / 9781416936688
High Spirits is the 39th book in the Charmed novel series.
- She sang her telegram to a Hollywood star—now he entertains from afar.
- Foe to friend, help in our quest to rid this mansion of an unwanted guest.
The Charmed Ones travel to Hollywood to attend a big bash hosted by Kevin Peterson, Paige's old flame. Kevin is holding the party at his recently purchased mansion, which he was able to afford because of rumors that it's haunted! Sure enough, ghostly goings-on begin almost immediately, but everyone believes that Kevin is the one behind the "haunting." He confides in Paige that he is not.
The ghost reveals himself to be Robert Maxwell, a star of stage and screen who vanished under mysterious circumstances in 1926—right after receiving a singing telegram. A friendly ghost, Maxwell just likes having an audience. But when people start to disappear and the house seals shut, the Charmed Ones realize something evil must also be lurking. It is only with the able assistance of their ghostly ally that they and the rest of the partygoers stand a chance.
- Piper Halliwell: The eldest sister with the power of Molecular Immobilization and Molecular Combustion.
- Phoebe Halliwell: The middle sister with the power of Premonition, Levitation, and Empathy.
- Paige Matthews: The youngest half-sister with the power of Telekinetic Orbing and Orbing.
- Leo Wyatt: The Charmed Ones' Whitelighter and Piper's husband. He has the powers of Orbing and Healing.
- Kevin Peterson: Paige's old flame on the rise to fame.
- Robert Maxwell: A ghost and former Hollywood star.
- Emily DuChancey: The witch who sang Maxwell her telegram.
- X'ahroth: M'Gohrathet's brother.
- Cassie: Paige's old schoolmate who was on the wrestling team, and Kevin's love interest.
- Ryan Tobias: Heir of the Tobias Multinational Fortune, with facial features that resemble a Japanese anime character. Known to have a bad reputation.
- Karl: Kevin's friend and Ryan's henchman who works in graphic animation.
- Craig: Kevin's friend and a comedian. He used to be a stripper before starting his comedy club.
- Tamara Banks: Cassie's friend. Nicknamed "She-vixen".
- Jessica Harlowe: An environmentalist. Dislikes Karl for his demeanor and business ideals.
- Chef Nunzio: Chef at a fancy Italian restaurant.
- M'Gohrathet: A demon of illusions of the Clan Eesleviathan.
- Doc Phillips: Maxwell's physician back in 1926.
- Gino: Robert's manservant and driver.
- From afar I have watched you, and seen your secret dreams.
- I can grant you all you wish for, impossible though it seems.
- You will not age, you will not fade, your legacy and your light,
- Will be kept alive within these walls by
- Emily's power and might.
To Vanquish M'GoharthetEdit
- Power of Three spell
- Demon of this, Demon of that,
- Keep your illusions under your hat.
- You've been a pest, but we're the best,
- So we vanquish thee with all the rest.
To Vanquish X'ahrothEdit
- Requires a potion made with nightshade and the Power of Three
- We sisters three will vanquish thee,
- Your illusions will not avail.
- By the Power of Three, we swear to see,
- You pass beyond the veil.
To Bind the Charmed Ones to Maxwell ManorEdit
- To the Sisters Three, I give to Thee,
- a boon I once granted, to You-Know-He.
Renewed X'ahroth Vanquishing SpellEdit
- Requires the Power of Three and a potion
- Demon of Illusion, we Sisters Three,
- Call upon the house and the Power of Three!
- We see right through you, and don't you know,
- Where you're heading, you don't want to go.
- Manifestation: Robert
- Molecular Combustion: Piper
- Molecular Immobilization: Piper
- Empathy: Phoebe
- Telekinetic Orbing: Paige
- Orbing: Paige
- Illusion Casting: M'Gohrathet and X'ahroth
- Conjuration: Robert
- Wisping: Robert
- Telepathy: Robert
- Empathic Projection: Robert
- Premonition: Phoebe
- Sensing: Emily
- Channeling: X'ahroth
- Hologram: X'ahroth
- Flaming: X'ahroth
- Intangibility: X'ahroth and Robert
- Teleportation Manipulation: X'ahroth
- Telekinesis: X'ahroth
- Pyrokinesis: X'ahroth
- Levitation: Phoebe and Emily
- Corporealization: Robert
- Reality Warping: X'ahroth
- Dream Leaping: X'ahroth and Emily
- Energy Ball: X'ahroth
- Force Field: Emily
- Power Extraction: X'ahroth
- Possession: X'ahroth
- Maxwell Manor: A mansion that had collected mystical forces over the centuries and became a concentration of power.
Notes and TriviaEdit
- The Halliwell Manor is mispronounced as "Halliwell Mansion".
- The story is set in 2006, which would put the book after Leo Rising.
- It takes place during the Moon Festival (which is in September) placing it at the beginning of Season 8, Paige has red hair in this novel despite the picture on the front.
- No mention of Chris or Wyatt Halliwell.
- Paige Matthews is still single.
- Phoebe Halliwell is not dating Coop.