- "My wedding, it’s ruined!"
- —Hecate after she finds out Chef Moore is in Paris[src]
Hecate is the (presumably) self-proclaimed "Queen of the Underworld" who comes to earth every 200 years to find an innocent man from a well-born family and put him under her spell so she can create a demonic spawn. She was the first upper-level demon encountered by the Charmed Ones. Hecate must marry the innocent man in a sanctified wedding before impregnating herself. That way, her child would look human on the outside, but internally and mentally, he would be pure demon. Her spell can only be broken by a declaration of true love and a sealed kiss.
Just like the Noxon demons she cannot be vanquished easily. However, she can be cursed into a special 14th century Italian dagger called a Jeweled Poignard of The Order of the Stephanine Cross.
Arrival at the Spencer Estate
- Jade: What's the matter? Forget about our little pact?
- Grace: No, Jade, but I was hoping that you did. My God, you haven't aged in twenty years
- Jade: You could've asked for eternal youth, Grace, instead of choosing wealth, power, all this. You've had a good life, haven't you?
In 1998, Elliott Spencer and Allison Michaels are happily in love. They plan to be married very soon, until a beautiful blonde named Jade D'mon arrives. She reminds Mrs. Spencer of a Faustian deal they made 20 years earlier. In return for making Mrs. Spencer one of the richest women in San Francisco, Jade wanted the hand of her eldest son. Suddenly, Jade waved her hand, and Elliot fell unconscious. Under the influence of a spell, he proposed to Jade.
Father Trask Makes an Attempt on Her Life
- Jade: Father Trask
- Father Trask: I banish thee back to the underworld, Hecate
- Jade: Not today, Trask
Piper and Phoebe Halliwell are catering the Spencer wedding for Quake. As the two enter the Spencer estate, a priest, Father Trask, appears. He tries to warn Piper of Hecate, as security guards throw him out. Allison slipped into the Spencer Estate and creeps into Elliot's room. Just as they start to talk, Grace, Jade and Kirsten, one of the bridesmaids, walk in and hustle her back out. Elliot begs Kirsten not to harm Allison, and a visibly angry Jade pulls him back into the room.
Father Trask somehow sneaks back into the estate in a delivery truck. He puts on a deliveryman's uniform and takes the Jeweled Poignard of the Order of the Stephanine Cross. He finds Jade and raises the dagger, calling her Hecate. However, Jade doesn't seem to be at all alarmed. Kirsten fades in behind Father Trask. She morphs into a demon and breaks his neck. Jade has him thrown from her window. After the accident, Jade is being interviewed by inspectors Andy Trudeau and Darryl Morris that Trask had lunged at her with the knife, but she ducked out of the way and he flew out the window. The two cops are skeptical, as Jade doesn't seem upset at all and Trask landed too far from the window like he was thrown.
True identity revealed
Andy finds the poignard and takes it to Prue at Buckland's. Prue does a quick search on her laptop and finds out about Hecate--and realizes that Jade is really Hecate in human form. Piper gets her hands on the napkins and the catering contract; they mention Allison, not Jade.
The Bachelorette Party
- Kristen: Mmm, he looks good enough to eat
- Jade: Good idea
Despite all that has happened, Hecate still throws a bachelorette party for herself and her bridesmaids. A pizza deliveryman walks in--but turns out to be a male stripper. As he begins to undress, the bridesmaids surround him, intent on having him for dinner. However, Jade calls them off--and then sinks her claws into him, killing him almost instantly.
The Wedding and Her Banishment
- "Alright, quick, we have to banish them back to the underworld"
- —Prue, moments before banishing Hecate[src]
Allison gets in touch with the sisters, and together, they crash the wedding just as Hecate is about to marry Elliot. Hecate conjures a powerful windstorm with a spell and runs off with Elliot. The sisters run after Hecate and Elliot and find them in Elliot's room just as Hecate is morphing into her demon form and about to force Elliot to impregnate her. The bridesmaids, also in demon form, rush in after them. Prue cannot find the poignard but it turns out to be on the floor next to Elliot. Elliot raises the dagger, and Prue telekinetically draws Jade and the bridesmaids into it, banishing them to the Underworld.
Powers and Abilities
- "By Asteria and Perses, open sky and do your worst!"
- —Hecate conjures a thunder storm.[src]
- Spell Casting- The ability to cast spells and perform rituals. Something Hecate seemed very skilled at, even though she cast one spell. In this spell she called upon the powers of Asteria and Perses to summon a lightning storm.
- Super Strength- Possessing physical strength far beyond that of a mortal.
- Limited Shapeshifting- Hecate could shift into her human form- Jade D'Mon- and back at will.
- Immortality- An infinitely long lifespan and an arrested aging process.
- High Resistance- The ability to survive attacks by weapons and various powers, (including their own) and magic from other magical beings and demons
While in her human form, Hecate is a beautiful, tall, platinum blonde. She looks just like a normal human being, but is very demanding--even more so than would be expected from a bride-to-be.
While in her Demonic form, she has many horns on her forehead, all of them black. She also has wrinkled, vainy skin and many lumps all over her body. She has long, black claws, which she used to kill a stripper with and sharp, canine teeth, which made her look even more ferocious.
20 years before 1998, it was shown that Elliott Spencer's mother Grace had made some sort of Faustian Deal with Hecate to be rich and successful. Instead of her soul as the price, however, Hecate wished for her first born male's hand in marriage so as to conceive an heir, posing as newly hired assistant Jade D'Mon to avoid suspicion. This left his true fiance Allison Michaels quite distraught.
Hecate had several demonic attendants, who posed as her bridesmaids in the wedding. They all seemed very devoted to her, most of all Kristen, who appeared to be her favorite. Kristen was Hecate's head minion and posed as her maid of honor.
- Hecate, Queen of the
- Underworld, takes human
- form every two hundred years,
- coming to earth to marry a
- mortal and give birth to the
- demon child. (See Photo) To
- do this, Hecate must catch an
- Innocent to be her groom, put
- him under a spell, and marry
- him in a sanctified wedding.
- In this way her child will grow
- up looking normal, but
- possessing a demon soul.
- Those reputed to be Hecate’s
- children are significant
- throughout history.
- See: Atilla the Hun, Genghis
- Khan and Ivan the Terrible.
Hecate in Books
Phoebe saw a drawing of Hecate in a book and Prue saw it in a drawing on a website. She is drawn in her demon form holding her baby which has two little horns.
Hecate, also spelled Hekate, is also called Agriope ('savage face'), she was the daughter of the Titan Perses and of Asteria, although sometimes it is said that Zeus himself fathered her, and she is the mother of Scylla. It is thought that she was also known as the dark side of the goddesses, Artemis, Selene, or Diana. She was said to have three faces, symbolizing her power over the underworld, earth, and air, thus she is sometimes depicted with three heads, that of a dog, a horse, and a lion. Sometimes she is also portrayed with a torch or with a pack of hounds. She was only worshipped at night by torchlight and dogs and black lambs were sacrificed to her -- hence her spell: By Asteria and Perses, open sky and do your worst!
Hecate is pretty much the goddess of life and death, and closely associated with the Underworld. The daughter of Titan Perses, she was greatly respected by Zeus, and was usually accompanied by a pack of dogs. She is also referred to as the goddess of witches. Besides controlling things of darkness and the night, Hecate was also called upon by women in childbirth in order to protect their child/children from evil spirits.
- Hecate is the first of several evil blondes that the Charmed Ones would face over the years.
- Jade shares a similar last name with Drake dè Mon. Both names are demon when said quickly.
- In her guest role on "Friends", Sarah Rose Peterson wore the same dress Shannen Doherty wore in a promo picture of Charmed.
- In Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Hecate is a Wiccan Goddess who is invoked upon in many spells. In Greek mythology, Hecate is the Goddess of Magic. In Charmed, she is a demon.
- The spell Hecate used, To Create a Storm, invokes the Titans Asteria and Perses, who are the parents of the goddess Hecate in Greek mythology.
- It was shown on the bonus feature, The Making of a Monster, how Hecate's face was made.
Hecate appeared in a total of 1 episode over the course of the series.
- Season 1
- The Wedding from Hell
|Antagonists of Season 1|
|Jeremy Burns · Javna · Cynda, Marshall and Fritz · Tony Wong · Whitaker Berman · Hecate and her Minions · Kali · Gavin · Matthew Tate · "Rex Buckland" and "Hannah Webster" · Guardian of the Urn · Agent Fallon/Wendigo · Barbas · Mickey Jackson · The Woogyman · Gabriel and Helena Statler · Nicholas · Greg, Paul and Brendan Rowe · Grimlocks · Charon · Jackson Ward · Alec · Inspector Rodriguez · Tempus|