Warding off evil
- Piper: "Gargoyles? You mean like, statues?"
- Cole: "That's only in their resting state. They come to life to ward off evil."
- — Piper and Cole discussing gargoyles.[src]
A witch named Nell created an enchanted painting in order to trap and kill her warlock ex-boyfriend, Malcolm. Among the numerous traps she used were fire-breathing gargoyles. Malcolm was able to dodge them by blinking. When Prue and Piper tried to free him, the gargoyles attacked them as well.
When the Source surfaced to find Paige Matthews and stop the Charmed Ones from being reconstituted, some gargoyles were notified of his presence. Cole Turner heard the gargoyles and warned Phoebe and Piper. The Source, who had possessed Paige's boyfriend Shane, tried to enter the church where Paige had been abandoned, but the gargoyles there came to life and were able to overpower him with their screeches. The Source fell to the ground in pain and convinced Paige to leave with him.
When magic switched to mortals, the sisters and their allies gave the Halliwell Manor a magical make-over to blend in. Among the additions were several gargoyles. These were presumably ordinary statues, due to the magical switch.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Active Powers
- Sensing: The ability to sense the presence of evil.
- Sonic Scream: The ability to unleash a high pitch scream that can hurt and ward off evil.
- Fire Breathing: The ability to breathe a stream of fire. The gargoyles in Nell's painting coul breathe fire, though it is unclear if all gargoyles have this ability.
Notes and TriviaEdit
- While gargoyles coming to life to ward off evil is featured in "Charmed Again, Part 2", there have been several incidents where this is not the case.
- They are featured in the book, Charmed Again.
Gargoyles have appeared in a total of 2 episodes and 2 comic issues throughout the series.
- Season 2
- The Painted World
- Season 4
- Charmed Again, Part 2