|Season 2, Episode 19|
|The Libris Demon about to kill Charlene.|
|Air date||April 27, 2000|
|Written by||Brad Kern and Peter Chomsky|
|Directed by||Joel J. Feigenbaum|
|Rebecca Cross||Charlene Hughes|
|Cleavant Derricks||Cleavant Wilson|
|Peg Stewart||Lillian Wyatt|
|Paige Brooks||Fiona Ember|
|Molly Chance||Young Lillian Wyatt|
|Goo Goo Dolls||Musical Guest|
|For a complete plot of Ex Libris, go here.|
Phoebe tries to help the ghost of Charlene, a fellow student who was killed by a demon known as Libris to prevent the publication of her thesis proving the existence of demons. With Prue's help, Phoebe and Charlene try to vanquish Libris before he can kill Phoebe, but are surprised to learn that Charlene's ghost can't move on to the next plane of existence until she helps Prue solve the murder of another young woman. Meanwhile, Piper's efforts to get the nightclub ready for a performance by the Goo Goo Dolls are interrupted when Dan reveals unsettling news about Leo's past.
Characters in bold appear for the first time in the series.
- Prue Halliwell
- Piper Halliwell
- Phoebe Halliwell
- Darryl Morris
- Leo Wyatt
- Dan Gordon
- Charlene Hughes
- Cleavant Wilson
- Tyra Wilson
- Lillian Wyatt
Book of Shadows/SpellsEdit
- In the demonic hierarchies there
- are none more insidious than
- those who belong to this
- order...for the work of the Libris
- is to keep the world in Darkness
- and Ignorance. The haunting
- grounds of these monsters are
- found wherever humans have the
- potential to find unequivocal proof
- of the existence of Demons.
- To vanquish one of their ranks, a witch
- must keep this rhyme close to her heart:
- Demon hide your evil face
- Libris die and leave no trace
- Orbing: Used by Leo to orb throughout the episode.
- Portal Creation: Used by Libris to go from the library stacks to the basement.
- Molecular Immobilization: Piper froze Dan & Leo fighting.
- Telekinesis: Prue flung an accordion in Gibbs' shop.
- Premonition: Phoebe received a vision of Libris attacking her.
- Apportation: Used by Libris to make his sickle appear.
- Astral Projection: Prue astral projected to the Library basement to vanquish Libris.
- Floating: Charlene floats in the manor kitchen.
- Charlene Hughes
- Libris -Demons that keep the world in Darkness and ignorance of the existence of Demons. They hunt wherever humans can find the proof of the existence of Demons.
Notes and TriviaEdit
- The phrase Ex Libris is a Latin phrase meaning literally, "from the books". It is often used to indicate ownership of a book, as in "from the books of..." or from the library of... The library at Phoebe's college plays an integral part in the episode.
- Prue catches Leo in the shower. This is later repeated by Phoebe in "Pre-Witched" and "Cat House" (at the same time, but different realities).
- Piper meets Leo's ex-wife in this episode. This is the only episode throughout the whole series that she appears.
- Lillian mentions that Leo appeared to her in a dream and told her not to worry and that there was someone else out there for her. This suggests Leo may have either gone into her dream or orbed to her and she recalls it as a dream.
- Leo mentions that there’s a system for keeping the demon world hidden, he refers to the Libris Demons. Later in the series this is the job of the Cleaners, keeping magic hidden from the world.
- Piper freezes Dan as he attempts to punch Leo in this episode. She later does the same thing in "Run, Piper, Run", but in that episode, she allows the person to punch him after all, whereas here, Leo dodges.
- This is the first and last episode where a ghost is seen having to exact justice for another person's murder in order to move on.
- Leo reveals that the reason that demon corpses disappear upon being vanquished, is actually a way to keep their existence a secret from the world.
- This episode reveals Leo died in battle during World War II while trying to patch up a wounded soldier. His wife Lillian received his purple heart.
- The back story of Leo Wyatt could be based off another solider from the actual war, named Wyatt Ray. Wyatt Ray was born November 11, 1924 and the character of Leo, was born in that same year. Wyatt Ray joined the marine corps August 8, 1942, and the character of Leo died November 14th, 1942.
- When Prue is in the pawn shop, it's the evening outside and when she leaves, it's morning again.
- "That's How Love Moves" by Faith Hill
- "January Friend" by The Goo Goo Dolls
- "Broadway" by The Goo Goo Dolls
- Phoebe: Hey, hi, I'm Phoebe.
- Charlene: I'm Charlene. Actually we've met. We even carpooled. Metaphysics 301, remember?
- Phoebe: Oh, that's right and your dad is the professor of that class, right?
- Charlene: Yeah, dirty rat, he gave me a C. We don't get along in anything. Even metaphysics. But I'm hoping that'll change when I finish my thesis, get published, he'll finally have to take me seriously. I'll quit before I start telling you about my mother.
- Phoebe: No, it's okay. I've been studying here for so long it's nice to have someone to talk to. So what's your thesis about?
- Charlene: It's about the existence of demons in our world.
- Phoebe: Demons?
- (Scene: Manor. Prue walks in the bathroom. Someone's in the shower. She walks over to the sink and wipes the fog off the mirror.)
- Prue: Hey, Piper, will you do me a favor and feed the cat? I want to get down to the haight. (She gets her toothbrush and toothpaste.) You know, I wanna see if that guy is still on that bus bench. You know, I just couldn't stop thinking about him all night. I mean, there's no guarantee that he'll actually be there but if he is I wanna get a better shot. (She starts brushing her teeth and then Piper walks in.)
- Piper: Prue, wh-what are you doing in here?
- Leo: Piper, can you hand me a towel? (Leo pulls across the shower curtain and sees Prue.) Prue!
- (Prue's eyes widen.)
- Prue: Leo. (Piper throws him a towel.) Nice orbs.
- Piper: Bye. (Prue continues to look at Leo.) Bye.
- (Prue walks backwards into the door.)
- Prue: Ow.
- Piper: Let me help you, let me help you. (Piper opens the door and Prue walks outside.) Alright, go on, sicko.
- Piper: Still Phoebe, you have to take care of yourself. You have to get some rest.
- Phoebe: After. Piper, I did not go back to college to fail at it, okay. So what do I have to do? Okay, I'm gonna go change and then I'm gonna go to the library. Now, if any demon or warlock attacks, please just fend them off till Saturday. (to Leo) I have a question for you. Is it possible for someone to find proof that demons really do exist?
- Leo: Mmm, I don't know, maybe. But even if anybody did, nobody would ever know about it anyway.
- Phoebe: What do you mean?
- Leo: Well, evil doesn't want anybody to know. It has a system for covering its tracks, protecting its identity. That's why demons disappear when you guys vanquish them.
- Piper: Why do you ask?
- Phoebe: Just curious. Okay, adios.
- Piper: Were you close to you dad?
- Leo: Uhh, well, that was long time ago. A different life time. I prefer to focus on the present.
- Piper: So do I, which means I have to go, I have a dentist appointment. How long can you stay?
- Leo: Uh, until they call.
- Piper: Well, if they don't call before lunch, why don't you meet me at the club. I'll buy.
- Leo: Well, you'll have to. Whitelighter pay sucks.
- (They kiss and Piper leaves.)
- (Scene: P3. Dan and Leo are punching each other up. Piper comes down the stairs.)
- Piper: Hey! Hey! Hey! (Dan pushes Leo up against the wall. Dan gets ready to punch Leo in the face but Piper freezes them before he can.) Alright, you first. (She unfreezes Leo. Leo moves out of the way.) What the hell is going on here?
- Leo: Don't ask me, he just came in here punching.
- Piper: Dan did? Well, what did you do to him?
- Leo: What did I do? Nothing.
- Piper: Oh, come on, Leo, he had to have a reason.
- Leo: Like losing you isn't an enough reason.
- Piper: Alright, back to your position. Go on.
- Leo: Are you kidding me? He's about to clock me.
- Piper: I'm sorry, I can't help you with that. Let's go, let's go.
- (Leo stands back where he was. Piper unfreezes Dan, Leo moves his head and Dan hits the wall instead.)
- Dan: Ow! (He holds his hand in pain.) Piper, where'd you come from?
- Piper: I'll be the one asking the questions. What the hell is going on?
- Dan: I don't know, why don't you ask him.
- Piper: I did, I mean, I will. I'm asking you first.
- Dan: You know, what? I just gotta go. (He leaves.)
- Piper: Dan, wait. (The Whitelighters call Leo.) Oh, no you don't. They can wait.
- Leo: I'm sorry, I have to go.
- Piper: Leo! (He orbs out.)
- (Phoebe's on the chair reading the Book Of Shadows.)
- Prue: (from the other room) Anybody here?
- Phoebe: In here. (Prue walks in.)
- Prue: Hey. Oh, good, I was looking for that. Wait, what are you doing with the book?
- Phoebe: Oh, I'm looking for the demon that's gonna kill me. I just love getting those premonitions.
- Prue: Oh, okay, what premonition? When?
- Phoebe: About an hour ago. Right after I was trying to tell Charlene that she's dead.
- Prue: I'm lost.
- (Prue sits down.)
- Phoebe: Oh, sorry, (laughs) wrong sister.
- (Piper walks in the front door.)
- Piper: I'm home!
- (Prue and Phoebe start to usher her back out.)
- Prue: Come on.
- Piper: Where we going?
- Phoebe: We'll explain on the way there.
- (Charlene joins them.)
- Piper: Who's that?
- Phoebe: Let's go, let's go. That's my dead friend.
- French: Examen de conscience (Examination of Conscience)
- Polish: Ex Libris
- Czech: Ex Libris
- Slovak: Ex Libris
- Italian: Il segreto di Leo (Leo's Secret)
- Portuguese (Brazil): Ex Libris
- Spanish (Spain and Latin America): Ex-Libris
- Hungarian: Ex Libris
- Russian: Tsena istiny (Price of Truth)
- Finnish: Exlibris
- German: Exlibris
- Serbian: Libris, knjiški demon
|Episodes: Season 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8|