To redirect magical attacks and projectiles
Use of one's original ability
Deviation is the practiced skill to use one's own magical powers to redirect the magical attacks or simply projectiles of other beings back on the path of emanation.
Deviation is not an actual active power, but merely a skill that can be learned through the exploration of the capabilities of other powers. Deviation is a defensive technique that can only be used to impede and redirect attacks.
Methods of DeviationEdit
Prue Halliwell used Telekinesis to deviate attacks back at demons in order to injure or vanquish them. She could also deviate attacks from one evil being towards another, like she did when she deflected Russell's fire in order to vanquish Anton. Prue has deviated the following: paint, Energy Balls, Fireballs, bullets, fire streams, cameras, Energy Beams, arrows and even powerful aerokinetic blasts.
Piper Halliwell uses Molecular Combustion to deviate Energy Balls and Fireballs back at demons. She can also deviate attacks from one evil being towards another, like she did when she battled Paul Haas and his fellow demons.
Phoebe Halliwell uses Power Channeling, which is a defensive aspect of Empathy, to deviate magical powers back at her opponents. This is one of her primary defensive moves. Phoebe's power is unique as she can deflect multiple powers at once. Phoebe has deviated the following: Energy Balls and Fire Balls.
Paige Matthews uses Telekinetic Orbing, which is the ability to move and teleport things with your mind, to deviate attacks back at her opponents. Paige has deviated the following: acid, Fire Balls, Energy Balls, daggers, cakes, and axes. Paige can also deviate power of another whitelighter, as she did with Leo's ability to heal. She was able to heal Leo through his own power.
List of Users Edit
- Using Deflection
- Using Empathy
- Using Telekinesis
- Using Telekinetic Orbing
- Using Molecular Combustion
- The first person to deviate a demonic attack was Prue Halliwell. She telekinetically deviated an Energy Ball in "Déjà Vu All Over Again".
- Deviation is not an actual active power possessed by magical beings, but a skill magical beings can learn to use if they possess an active power capable of doing so.
- All four Charmed Ones have an ability that allows deviation. Some of the sisters have accessed this ability through several mediums, such as using a baseball bat or using a mirror etc.
- The highest number of attacks deviated at one time in the series was Phoebe using her Empathy in "Used Karma" to redirect six fireballs at once. The way she used her power to deflect that attack was very similar to telekinetic deviation. Paige also deviated multiple Energy Balls while glamoured as Billie in "Payback's a Witch".
- This ability is often mistaken for a form of Deflection.