The Charmed Comics is the canonical continuation of the popular TheWB series Charmed. The series is published monthly by Zenescope Entertainment. In addition, a volume collecting 5-7 issues is made each time a story arch is completed.
The news was made official on March 15th, 2010, but Zenescope had already put ads in several comics and one artist had released his test drawings. Alyssa Milano also informed Charmed fans of this news when she twittered that a comic was in the making.
- "The process definitely took a little while and was in the works for well over a year. We were discussing all the potential storylines and details with CBS for quite some time and they also needed to make sure the lead actresses were all okay with us using their likenesses. The main thing was that we all wanted to make sure this was something we were going to do right so we didn't want to rush anything."
- — Ralph Tedesco, Zenescope Editor-in-chief
"The series starts off about a year or so after the end of the last season," Gregory said. "The sisters are each off living their lives. They have had their well-deserved happily ever. But what they don't realize is that there might have been some serious consequences for vanquishing all that evil. Something is brewing in the Underworld. Something big!"
|“||The key to this series success is to strike a nice balance in creating a brand new, intriguing storyline for fans of the television show while also not alienating Zenescope and comic book readers who haven't really followed it before but might want to now that it's a comic. The great thing is that Paul and Raven have done just that with this story arc. Anybody will be able to pick up this series and follow it whether or not they ever watched the show before. Moreover, fans of the show are going to be thrilled when they see where this story goes.||”|
—Ralph Tedesco, Zenescope Editor-in-chief
12 Issues Planned
|“||That depends on your definition of the word “planned. We started out with an initial arc of five issues that were pretty set before we even wrote one page of the first comic book. But we hope that arc is just the beginning of something bigger. We have plans that can take us in several directions depending on Zenescope’s and CBS’s approvals; the fan response and what we decide will ultimately work best for the line.||”|
—Paul Ruditis, Charmed comics writer
The first season of Charmed Comics, season 9, debuted on July 21, 2010. It was written by Paul Ruditis and ran for 24 issues. It had its season finale on October 3, 2012
Main Story Arcs
- Resurrection of The Source: The season starts with a mysterious woman called Neena and a warlock named Hogan trying and ultimately succeeding to resurrect The Source of All Evil.
- Neena's Truth Revealed: Neena is revealed to be the first witch, who plans to bring about a new world order by taking on The Upper Regions and uniting it with The Underworld. Neena builds her army which includes an old enemy of Leo's, a darklighter named Rennek
- Finding Prue: Prue's whereabouts it finally discovered and Rennek sets up a potentially fatal meeting between her and Paige. The world in chaos due to their being four Charmed Ones, the sisters must find a way to put things back to the way it was prophecized.
- The Magical Switch: Rennek has somehow stripped magic from the entire magical community and now mortals have the power. The sisters join forces with friends and family, old and new, in order to stop Rennek for good.
Season 10 was first advertised at the back of season 9's final issue, however it wasn't set to debut until October 9, 2014. The season will debut at New York Comic Con and is written by Pat Shand. Season 9 writer, Paul Ruditis will stay on as editor.
- Piper Halliwell
- Phoebe Halliwell
- Paige Matthews
- Leo Wyatt
- Henry Mitchell
- Prue Halliwell (Season 10, recurring previously)
- Cole Turner (Season 10, recurring previously)
- Elise Rothman
- Tyler Michaels
- Darryl Morris
- Kyle Brody
- Montgomery Knox
- Wyatt Halliwell
- Chris Halliwell
- Melinda Halliwell
- Tamora and Kat Mitchell
- Henry Mitchell Jr.
- P.J. Halliwell
- Parker Halliwell
The Charmed Comics Crew
- Dave Hoover (9x01-9x03)
- Marcio Abreu (9x04-9x05, 9x07)
- Tess Fowler (9x06, 9x11, 9x19)
- Carlos Granda (9x08)
- Dean Kotz (9x09, 9x12-9x18, 9x20-9x21)
- Reno Maniquis (9x10)
- Rubine (9x22-9x24)
- Elisa Féliz (10x01)
To get the job, the artists had to sketch two pages for the comics. Marcio Abreu, who got hired after Dave Hoover left had to sketch two drawings of the sisters.
- Dave Hoover
- Marcio Abreu
Getting the Rights
It took Zenescope about a year to get all the legal rights, including the right to use the actresses' likenesses. Alyssa Milano, Holly Marie Combs and Rose McGowan, all agreed to their likenesses being used. Later on it became clear that various other notable Charmed actors had allowed their likenesses to be used; including Brian Krause, Ivan Sergei, Victor Webster, Julian McMahon, Dorian Gregory, Finola Hughes, Jennifer Rhodes, James Read, Scott Jaeck,Kaley Cuoco and Rebecca Balding
Alyssa Milano, who portrayed Phoebe in the series, was very excited about the comics, she said: "Well, I approved some of the artwork for the rendition of my character, and it looks awesome. I’m very excited. A show like Charmed has been such a lovely part of my life simply because the fans have been so loyal. That’s why we were on the air for as long as we were, on a network that wasn’t bringing in great numbers at the time. So I think that anything to continue the legacy that we had is awesome."
Upon much questioning from fans about whether Shannen Doherty's likeness would appear in the comics, Zenescope issued the following statement:
- “Unfortunately Ms. Doherty has declined to be involved in the comic version of Charmed. This includes the use of her likeness. We had hoped that she would allow us to use her image and that we would be able to bring her into the Charmed comic book exactly as she was in the show but at this point that has become impossible. While Ms. Doherty’s likeness will not be used for the character we are still very excited about the direction we are going with Prue and we hope that fans of Charmed will feel the same way.”
-Ralph Tedesco, Editor in Chief
This ad was originally going to be used as cover, but was used as an ad instead.
- By TFAW
- Alyssa Milano confirmed the news about the Charmed comics via her twitter on January 10th.
- An early Charmed comics cover was drawn by Eric Basaldua and coloured by Steve Firchow in June. Basaldua confirmed it will not be used. Basaldua and Firchow are not part of the charmed comics creative team.
- The test drawings were all based on the show's promo pictures of the girls.
- As said by Paul Ruditis, Rat demons will make an appearance in the comics.
- Ruditis loves the pun titles from Charmed and decided to continue this tradition with the comics.
- Even though Holly Marie Combs has a tattoo on her wrist during the show, there is no tattoo in the comics. Her tattoos are drawn for the first time in issue 11.
- Returning are Billie who makes a cameo, Cole is recurring character and Prue made her long awaited return during issue 15.
- Zenescope Working on Charmed Comic (December 19, 2009)
- Zenescope Brings Charmed To Comics (March 15, 2010)
- David Seidman (charmed covers) announces Charmed comics (March 15,2010)
- Charmed Returns As Comic Book (March 15, 2010)
- Comic Vine Talks Charmed (March 16, 2010)
- Charmed TV Series To Continue In Comic Book Form (Rose Mcgowan fansite) (March 17,2010)
- Newsrama talks with Charmed Writers (March 31, 2010)
- Zenescope gets Charmed with the Power of Three
- Gregory and Ruditis are Charmed (With special previews!)
- The Point Radio Still Charmed by Alyssa Milano (April 9, 2010) - Alyssa mentions the comics.
- The Charmed life of Raven Gregory and Paul Ruditis (April 13, 2010)
- Ginandcomics sitdown with zenescope's Raven Gregory (April 14,2010)
- Alyssa Milano Talks Romantically Challenged, Charmed and Ghostbusters (April 19, 2010)
- AICN COMICS Q&@ with the folks behind the new CHARMED comic! (April 29, 2010)
- Raven Gregory C2E2 interview (May 4, 2010)
- Comicbookresources interview with Paul and Raven (July 22,2010)
- David Seidman interview where he talks about charmed (August 31,2010)
- Paul Ruditis Charmed Interview with preview art for Charmed #3 (October 6, 2010)
- Videos from the Charmed panel. Paul Ruditis, Raven Gregory, Ralph Tedesco and Milen Parvanov talk about Charmed and the comics.