The demon Athulak is described as having stalked the dark forests near the great river (Amazonas) for centuries. A demon in human form, he was immune to the weapons wielded by his savage subjects, and sustained by the fear and terror he created from their passions. Athulak could twist inconsequential human desire into cataclysmic harm; for example, a little girl's wish for a pony at her birthday party nearly resulted in her being trampled by a runaway horse.
His essence was imprisoned in a stone by a powerful woman who could manipulate the elements. After Athulak was trapped, she buried the stone. The symbolic order inherent in the shape and design strengthened the power of the woman's binding spell.
Stephen Tremaine, who was running for congress, got into the possession of the spirit stone from a tribe that inhabited the central amazon regions three thousand years ago. Unknowing that this stone trapped the essence of Athulak, he released the demon.
Despite Athulak's attempt to delay the Charmed Ones by granting Phoebe's wish that she could see more disasters by increasing her premonitions to the point where they were actually painful, he was banished by Piper and Prue.
Cast by the Charmed Ones to protect themselves from Athulak:
- Fire, water, wind, and air,
- Cast in cosmic primal brine;
- Bid Athulak's wind, beware!
- No passage through this door I bind.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Active Powers
- Wish Granting: The ability to grant the wishes of their master and thus alter reality as they desire. Athulak could grant people's wishes in a twisted sense.
- Augmentation: The ability to enhance others' abilities.
- Transmogrification: The ability to change oneself into inanimate objects.
- Other Powers
- Immunity: The ability to become invulnerable to powers and weapons.
Athulak has appeared in a total of 1 non-canonical novel throughout the franchise.