|The Angel of Death|
Angel of Death
Ferrying souls to the afterlife
Death claims the souls of those who die and takes them to the afterlife. It is useless to fight him as he cannot be destroyed for there is always death, and there is only life because of death. The Angel of Death cannot be stopped and never gives up a claim. The only way to change the fate of one destined to die is to make a plea to an Angel of Destiny.
The Angel of Death has come into contact with the Charmed Ones on numerous occasions, which is unusual as most mortal beings only encounter Death once. These meetings have formed a familiar bond between the sisters and Death, something he had never experienced before.
Death Takes a Halliwell
The Angel of Death is introduced, though he only meets Prue. He was sent down for two reasons--to teach Prue that she wasn't meant to save every innocent she protected, and to come for her if she couldn't learn to properly grieve for her mother's death twenty-three years earlier.
The Courtship of Wyatt's Father
In the season 6 episode The Courtship of Wyatt's Father, the Angel of Death appeared as a janitor by the name of Clarence to Chris Halliwell. Although he didn't quite know for a time whether he was actually supposed to take Chris, he wanted to warn him that he had to enjoy more of his life just in case.
Styx Feet Under
In the season 7 episode Styx Feet Under, the Angel of Death appears. This is the first time that any of the sisters or Leo saw him. He came to the sisters because he had a problem; a person on his list should be dead but isn't. Paige explains that it's because of her protection spell that she had cast over that person.
He recruits Piper to help him claim the souls of those who died. After Kevin's demon half was vanquished, he returned Piper to life and claimed Kevin's soul.
- Note: This episode marks the first time Death agrees to barter with the Charmed Ones and take a different soul than the one on his list - Sirk's instead of Paige's. The second is in Vaya Con Leos when he explains to Piper that she should talk to those who know more about the Grand Design than he does - an Elder and an Avatar - in order to avert him from taking Leo from her.
Vaya Con Leos
In the season 8 episode Vaya Con Leos, the Angel of Death appears to Piper. After all the times he "worked" with the sisters, Death came to sympathize for the sisters, something which had never happened to him before. He came to warn Piper that he would be taking Leo soon and offered her some time to say goodbye. Piper didn't understand why Leo had to be taken, after everything they had already been through and therefore cast a spell which made every man on the world look like Leo to confuse the Angel of Death. Though the spell worked, Leo gave himself away by waiting at Wyatt and Chris' school. Death found him and a car crashed into the cab Leo was sitting in.
Piper, still confused, asks an Elder and Avatar for help, but they can only say that this decision was not by them but by a being higher than them; an Angel of Destiny. Piper, Phoebe and Paige contacted an Angel of Destiny and could make a deal: Leo would not die but would be frozen until the Ultimate battle was won.
- Note: In this episode, for the first time, Death appears somewhat sympathetic about an individual's death - while in the car when Leo describes how his previous life ended prematurely, compassion and sympathy can be seen in his eyes and body language.
Powers and Abilities
- Basic Powers
- Active Powers
- Intangibility: The ability to become intangible move through solid objects. The Angel once stood in the middle of the road and a car passed through him.
- Invisibility: The ability to be unseen by the naked eye. The Angel is invisible by definition and will only become visible when he chooses to do so.
- Power Granting: The ability to grant magical powers to other beings. The Angel once granted Piper Halliwell powers similar to his when he turned her into an Angel of Death to temporarily replace him.
- Soul Absorption: The ability to absorb souls. The Angel absorbs souls when he ferries them to the afterlife.
- Telekinesis: The ability to move matter with the power of the mind. The Angel channeled his power through his arm when he threw Sirk into a portal.
- Necrokinesis: The ability to cause instant death without appearant cause. The Angel once used this to temporarily kill Piper Halliwell
- Portal Creation: The ability to create portals to the afterlife.
- Conjuration: The ability to draw objects into existence. The Angel used this power when conjuring his list.
- Dark Wisping: The ability to teleport through dark wisps, leaving the image of a skull for a moment.
- Other Powers
- Sensing: The ability to sense the location of other beings, most notable the location of the next person on his list.
- Immortality: The ability to to possess an infinite lifespan and an arrested aging process. The Angel is truly immortal and cannot be vanquished.
- Invincibility: The ability to be invincible, meaning one cannot be defeated. It has been mentioned many times that one cannot beat death.
- Immunity: The ability to be immune to certain or all magical powers, spells and potions.
Though first mentioned in the season 3 episode Death Takes a Halliwell, Death's list containing the order of deaths was only actually shown in the season 7 episode Styx Feet Under. There are two columns on the list; Dead and To Die. The ones under Dead are people who are dying, the ones under To Die aren't yet, but will soon. However, the names keep changing, removing themselves, changing places, as destinies are changed continually. Once someone on the list has passed away, the name will disappear.
A witch can see a black shadow following the person who is next on the Angel of Deaths' list to be taken to their proper place in the afterlife. That shadow is the Angel of Death following it, however when Prue Halliwell took a picture of the shadow following a lady it did not show up.
- The placeholder names on the list are all names of crew members.
- The actual prop had the names digitally removed and separately added again so that the special effect, names removing themselves and changing places, could be added. The list, when seen from a distance and without any effects, has the same order of names when it has changed a few times already.
- Simon Templeman was unable to reprise the role in The Courtship of Wyatt's Father due to scheduling conflicts. This caused death to appear in another appearance, Clarence, portrayed by Lou Beatty Jr.
The Angel of Death appeared in a total of 4 episodes over the course of the series.
- Season 3
- Death Takes a Halliwell
- Season 6
- The Courtship of Wyatt's Father
- Season 7
- Styx Feet Under
- Season 8
- Vaya Con Leos